Cupcakes Make Fun Treats for Every Occasion
Cupcakes are all the rage. The selection of cupcakes has never been greater in and around Edina, Minnesota. Bakeries and boutiques offer everything from traditional red velvet topped with a casual dollop of cream cheese frosting to elegant seasonally inspired flavors adorned with perfectly formed caps of Italian buttercream. Edina is the land of cake and cupcakes are no exception.
From royal-themed wedding cake centerpieces to sweet snacks on the fly, cupcakes are a sensible dessert option. Cupcakes pack a punch of sugary elegance and satisfying flavors with a spin of cuteness that no regular large cake can match. The perfect pick-me-up is a hold-in-your-hand, no-fork-required cupcake fix.
The Edina Eater set out to find, purchase and sample all the specialty cupcakes Edina had to offer. This cupcake quest took previous assumptions about cupcake qualities to the test. What makes the ultimate cupcake? Is it the cake form, frosting design, adorning garnishes or just plain, old-fashioned, melt-in-your-mouth, moist cake taste? Maybe the reputation of the bakery or the service at the counter makes or breaks the cupcake experience?
The Edina Cupcake Contenders:
- Sweet Retreat Cupcake Boutique: With more than a dozen cupcake flavors, it can be hard to pick just one. Be prepared for a dilemma. All cupcakes are baked fresh daily and generously frosted with artful precision. Carefully boxed cupcakes are packaged tight enough to withstand an earthquake. The knowledgeable staff eagerly provides storage tips. Some of the chocolate-based cupcakes have chocolate chips baked into the batter, which drift to the bottom. For the true chocolate enthusiast, might this be a bonus? Sweet Retreat Cupcake Boutique gets a gold star for offering day-old, in addition to the just-out-of-the-oven and cooled-to-frost, regular, daily fresh selection. For the budget conscious bakery buff, day-old, half-price specials can be a godsend. Another great feature is the option for adding a personalized message to the cupcake. Stickers make cupcakes sweeter with messages like, “Feel better,” “Nice work,” “You rock,” “He’s dumb,” ”It’s your birthday,” etc. – Edina at 50th & France.
- Cupcake Caramel by Sweets Bakeshop: The art of cupcake design reigns supreme here. Yes, these gems taste as good as they look. A friendly and knowledgeable staff makes it easy to buy more than was originally intended. A new must-try item has joined the menu. The beer hug cupcake – a seasonal creation of chocolate cake topped with coconut milk-stout buttercream, made from Town Hall Brewery’s 3-Hour Tour Stout, all topped with a sprinkling of coconut. Besides, day-to-day eating, these show stopper, artsy cupcakes could serve up with high marks for any special occasion. — Southwest Minneapolis on Nicollet Ave. and other Twin City locations.
- Patisserie Margo: This bakery offers a more traditionally limited selection of cupcakes, including coconut, carrot cake and chocolate. The star was a dark chocolate-flavored cupcake with chocolate ganache frosting with rich deep cake base boasting an intense infusion of cocoa. The Patisserie Margo website is not up; call (952) 926-0548. — Edina at Vernon Ave. and Interlachen Blvd. at Gus Young Lane.
- Queen of Cakes: Two varieties of cupcakes were available during the Edina Eater’s visits. The black capped chocolate bubble cupcakes were unique in flavor with the generous vanilla buttercream frosting base covered in chocolate frosting. If one flavor of frosting is good, adding another kind only adds to the cupcake fun. — Edina on Amundson Ave.
- Turtle Bread: A selection of a few standards along with cutting edge new varieties like vegan vanilla. The Boston cream had a rich vanilla custard filling surrounded by angle food-light cake and rich chocolate frosting that brought back memories of a food-filled vacation to Boston. Some cupcakes were improved with a microwave warm-up to take off the chill of refrigeration and to recharge a moist crumb. – Southwest Minneapolis near 44th & France and other Twin City locations.
After a good sampling from each venue and multiple trips to cross check findings, one conclusion was clear. It would be unfair to say one cupcake was the best. Each cupcake has its own individual flavor, charismatic good looks and personality. They were all good, some were great but all were eaten in record time.
From Homespun to Object d’Art
Say goodbye to the humdrum flat topped home baked cupcake and indulge in the baked world of cupcake perfection. The look now rivals the taste. Some cupcakes are more streamlined in their appearance while others have all the bells and whistles that can fit on top of a baked good. Either way, cupcakes are serious business and come with a price. At an average of $3 or more each, cupcakes can quickly break the treat budget.
Know that the purchase of one lonely cupcake can easily lead to the urge to buy more. Contrasting colors in whirls of frosting look even better in large groups.
Edina Cupcakes for All
For dessert devotees, cupcake possibilities abound in and around Edina. Whether plain or fancy, cupcakes are the dessert food du jour. All are sweet diversions to life’s challenges or to the tedium of mundane days. A cupcake or group of cupcakes can form the foundation for a gala celebration. Edina is good grazing ground for any cupcake eater.